Can a gay man become a priest?
6 Articles Discernment
- Is there a vocations test I can take to see if I have a vocation to the priesthood?
- How do I really know that I have a calling to the priesthood?
- I think I might have a vocation to the priesthood but I cannot be sure, what do I do to find out?
- I do not consider myself to be exceptionally holy, I try to pray every day and follow the commandments. I have always been very interested in the priesthood but I have never felt a burning passion for it. Could I still be called to the priesthood?
- Can widowed or divorced people enter religious life?
- Are there any books I should read to help me discern my vocation?
19 Articles Obstacles
- I have a girlfriend but I feel called to religious life. If I go into training for the priesthood can I still keep my girlfriend in case it becomes clear that I don’t actually have a vocation?
- What can I do as a priest that I cannot do as a layperson working for a charity or NGO?
- School was never something I really liked. Is the study part of formation very hard?
- The idea of public speaking is very challenging to me and I avoid it if possible. How can I be a priest when I hate public speaking?
- If I became a priest, what would I do if I fell in love?
- Can I still join the priesthood if I have personal debts?
- Do you have to be a virgin to become a priest?
- If I take a vow of celibacy, will I get very lonely?
- What happens to my belongings if I join the priesthood? Can I keep my car?
- Why do we have priests? Can’t lay people do the work of priests?
14 Articles Religious Orders
- Were the first apostles priests?
- How do I decide which Order would be best for me?
- What’s the difference between a brother and a priest?
- What’s the difference between a sister and a nun?
- Are religious orders different from one another? If so, how are they different?
- Do religious communities offer a trial period?
- Why are there so many different religious organisations?
- I’d like to join a religious community but I like living in Ireland. Can I be sent anywhere or do I have a say in the matter?
- I feel I have a specific charism to youth outreach. Can I live this charism out as a priest, or must I follow the charism of the order I join?
- Would entering a religious community mean that I would have to sever my relationships with family and friends?
15 Articles Priestly Life
- As a priest if I decide that I no longer want to do something, such as work in a specific parish, do I have any say or is it all out of my hands?
- What do priests do all day?
- How important is prayer in the daily life of a priest?
- Why do some priests wear religious clothes while others don’t?
- If I become a priest, will I be living with mostly elderly men?
- As a priest, will I get to see and talk with family and friends regularly?
- What if as a priest I need to take time out to care for a relative or family member?
- Do priests get a wage and if so can they do what they wish with it?
- What if I change my mind about being a priest during training or things just don’t work out? How do I pick my life back up again?
- What kind of free time does a priest get, and can he spend it how he wishes?
12 Articles Joining
- If I request information about joining a religious organisation, will I be pressured into joining?
- I see on vocations websites that I should contact their vocations director. What is a vocations director?
- What age do I have to be to become a Catholic priest in Ireland?
- I’m not a native of Ireland, can I still join the priesthood in Ireland?
- I hear my local priest say in his homily that there’s a shortage of priests in Ireland, is there really a shortage of priests?
- What are the minimum requirements to become a Catholic priest?
- Do I have to be very holy to become a priest?
- How long does it take to become a priest?
- Can I become a bishop or cardinal and not a priest?
- What steps are involved in becoming a priest?