I’d like to join a religious community but I like living in Ireland. Can I be sent anywhere or do I have a say in the matter?
It is important to look more closely at your desires. Do you want to live in Ireland because you wish to serve the Church in Ireland or is it more that you are reluctant to move beyond your comfort zone? It is important to be honest about this. God could be calling you to serve the Church in Ireland. In that case, you should look for an institute that concentrates on the home mission. Diocesan priests, for instance, know that – for the most part – their ministry will be conducted within the parameters of their particular dioceses within Ireland.
Missionary institutes, on the other hand, expect that candidates will be available for mission at home and abroad. Usually, your preferences will be taken into account in seeking God’s will, but there are no guarantees. An aspect of the vow of obedience within religious institutes is availability for mission and readiness to go wherever you are sent. This is part of the self-giving to Christ within religious life. Normally you would expect to be abroad for some studies or mission work for a number of years.
Most popular questions
- I feel I have a specific charism to youth outreach. Can I live this charism out as a priest, or must I follow the charism of the order I join?
- The idea of public speaking is very challenging to me and I avoid it if possible. How can I be a priest when I hate public speaking?
- What can I do as a priest that I cannot do as a layperson working for a charity or NGO?
- Why are there so many different religious orders?
- If I request information about joining a religious organisation, will I be pressured into joining?
- I do not consider myself to be exceptionally holy, I try to pray every day and follow the commandments. I have always been very interested in the priesthood but I have never felt a burning passion for it. Could I still be called to the priesthood?
- As a priest, will I get to see and talk with family and friends regularly?
- Why do some priests wear religious clothes while others don’t?
- Is a brother the same as a priest?
- If I take a vow of celibacy, will I get very lonely?