Do priests get a wage and if so can they do what they wish with it?
Diocesan priests receive a modest salary and are free to budget according to their own discretion. Parish priests are also often provided with accommodation or housekeeping services, but their wage is still likely to fall below that of people in the voluntary sector or business world.
Priests, therefore, live modestly in the main and they do have discretion over what they spend their money on. Many of them have to furnish their own houses, pay for holidays and buy a car out of their wages, so they don’t have a lot of disposable income.
Religious priests take a vow of poverty which means they hand in any earnings to the community and receive what they need from the community common fund. Depending on practice – and practice varies across different religious communities – religious may be given a certain amount of money monthly or annually, which they manage and account for. The community bursar will have overall responsibility for community accounts.
Most popular questions
- I feel I have a specific charism to youth outreach. Can I live this charism out as a priest, or must I follow the charism of the order I join?
- What can I do as a priest that I cannot do as a layperson working for a charity or NGO?
- The idea of public speaking is very challenging to me and I avoid it if possible. How can I be a priest when I hate public speaking?
- Why are there so many different religious organisations?
- Why do I have to be celibate to be a priest?
- If I become a priest, will I be living with mostly elderly men?
- Would entering a religious community mean that I would have to sever my relationships with family and friends?
- As a priest if I decide that I no longer want to do something, such as work in a specific parish, do I have any say or is it all out of my hands?
- I hear my local priest say in his homily that there’s a shortage of priests in Ireland, is there really a shortage of priests?
- I’m very attracted to women. Will this pass with time and training or will I always be tempted?